What is counselling?
The aim of counselling is to support the development of positive change in various areas of functioning. By doing so, individuals can learn how to independently fulfil their needs and wants in more effective ways.
The reasons why people seek counselling can vary, but some common concerns include:
- Stress and anxiety
- Changes in mood
- Grief and loss
- Managing difficult behaviors
- Relationship concerns
Commonly reported benefits of counselling include, but are not limited to:
- Improved confidence and self-esteem
- Openness to, and/or easier adaption to change
- Improved functioning within new and existing relationships
- Validation of feeling and experiences
- Exploration of new perspectives
- Enhanced meaning in lives